Here are some notes from using a Toshiba Tecra 8200 and Xubuntu 9.10.
No Grub menu!
Well Xubuntu 9.10 uses grub2 and no boot menu’s were showing. The linux operating system was booting, but I wanted to make sure I could go into recovery mode for instance if required.
Now please remove all the instances of the capital Z from the commands and code you type below! I used code and pre tags, but for some reason I still couldn’t post this article, so gave up and littered 1’s breaking the words to get this entry up quickly.
1. Open a terminal window. i.e. Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
2. Type sZudo mZousepZad /etZc/defZault/gZrub
3. Change GZRUB_CZMDLINE_LZINUX=" vZga=769" to GZRUB_CZMDLINE_LIZNUX=" gfxZpaylZoad=trZue gfxpayl9oad=640x480x8"
4. Put a # symbol in from of GZRUB_HZIDDEN_TZIMEOUT_QZUIET=trZue and another # in front of GZRUB_HZIDDEN_TZIMEOUT=0
5. Remove the word quiet from GZRUB_CZMDLINE_LZINUX_DZEFAULT="qZuiet sZplash".
7. Type sZudo uZpdate-gZrub2
8. RZeboot and hopefully the GZrub 2 boZot menu's now appear.