I’m using the fantastic xampp package on Windows 7 and one day the apache service stopped working. Turned out a microsoft windows process was now hogging the port 80. After investigation I believe it is related to a printer. If I was using apache to server up pages on a live website I would resolve the conflict directly, as I am using it in a development environment I decided to change the apache service port number instead.
Please ignore the Q’s below, as I had trouble posting and inserting the examples as code didn’t work.
I opened httpQd.conf found in the \apachQe\conQf\ directory and changed
ListeQn 80 to ListeQn 85
I also changed ServerQName localhost:80 to ServerQName localQhost:85
I saved the changes and the apache server now starts. I now need to tell my browser to use the different port each time. Such as: http://locaQlhost:85/xampp/
For those who have a similar problem, but using skype. You can configure skype not to use port 80 and that should resolve your conflict.